[Site Discussion and Questions] Default open source license

You can post suggestions and feedback for the forum community.

mece
Table Maker
Table Maker
Apprentice Hacker
Apprentice Hacker
Answers: 0

[Site Discussion and Questions] Default open source license

Post by mece »

We have a pol Should we have a default open source license that allows redistribution?
At current moment there is zero "No"-replies and the default licence is https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
This license allows redistribution even if reposter

• does not add a link to the original post on this site because usually there is no clear copyright notice that will obliges doing so;

• removes licence file from the work and leaves just copyright notice;

• censors discussions of the work origins or changes made;

• removes all OCT attributes from the work if there were any;

• restrains the users from discussing OCT (e.g. making "opencheattables" a prohibited word);

• bans authors while not deleting copies of thier work even after public request;

• uses the author or other contributor name in advertising and promotion of derived work;

MIT license is ok for me, but does everybody agree with all above? ;)

Similar topics

DescriptionLink
Which license it best for you?https://opencheattables.com/viewtopic.php?t=254

Seneekikaant
Table Maker
Table Maker
Apprentice Hacker
Apprentice Hacker

Re: [Site Discussion and Questions] Default open source license

Post by Seneekikaant »

mece wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:06 am

We have a pol Should we have a default open source license that allows redistribution?
At current moment there is zero "No"-replies and the default licence is https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
This license allows redistribution even if reposter

• does not add a link to the original post on this site because usually there is no clear copyright notice that will obliges doing so;

• removes licence file from the work and leaves just copyright notice;

• censors discussions of the work origins or changes made;

• removes all OCT attributes from the work if there were any;

• restrains the users from discussing OCT (e.g. making "opencheattables" a prohibited word);

• bans authors while not deleting copies of thier work even after public request;

• uses the author or other contributor name in advertising and promotion of derived work;

MIT license is ok for me, but does everybody agree with all above? ;)

Similar topics

DescriptionLink
Which license it best for you?https://opencheattables.com/viewtopic.php?t=254

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

I'm more of a fan for the GPLv3 license, mainly because of section 9

Acceptance Not Required for Having Copies.

You are not required to accept this License in order to receive or run a copy of the Program.
Ancillary propagation of a covered work occurring solely as a consequence of using peer-to-peer transmission to receive a copy
likewise does not require acceptance.
However, nothing other than this License grants you permission to propagate or modify any covered work.
These actions infringe copyright if you do not accept this License.
Therefore, by modifying or propagating a covered work, you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so.

Just be sure to put your copyrights in there as well

A naked man fears no pickpocket

justAfaker
Table Maker
Table Maker
Novice Hacker
Novice Hacker

Post by justAfaker »

Same, GPL v3 license seems very good. It's also Copyleft instead of Copyright so proprietary or bad companies cannot come in and steal your code, discredit you, and publish it in a different, anti-free license.

Marcus101RR
Administrator
Administrator
Apprentice Hacker
Apprentice Hacker
Loading…

Post by Marcus101RR »

So Yes,

I agree, the GPL 3.0 License is exactly a good stand point on the matter. Tim was originally on the Open Source License, but we never got a chance to take a poll on it and see how everyone feels. So great to bring this up now. With Tim being gone, and not sure about his stand point. We can only ensure the community speaks their voice. If anything we will make a poll on which license to use and adjust the rules accordingly to our current rule.

It just comes down to the point that we do not want some flame-fueled-grudge-based-power-control communities to just grab tables, post them over their untranslatable sites and gain profit from them. My Monster Hunter World table was a huge example of this as it landed on Chinese Sites, and they would service accounts to level them up, give items, and more using the table, but no credit was given to me. In short, never did anything about it, wasn't worth my time and people know exactly where it came from and who made it! Your reputation follows you based on your actions, and efforts!

While, sites like FRF may continue to ignore this rule for Elden Ring (Hexinton) after deliberately not wanting their table decrypted (we know who did, and argued it wasn't encrypted at first), among many here who may have had their status, reputation, and tables taken with/without credit. A License to keep people aware that as long as you show good faith and intent you are free to use and distribute as long as credit and references are given.

Simple, like an essay with reference at the bottom showing your paraphrased sources. It is common sense, but its lacking.

So should we go forth and make another poll? I'll let @Seneekikaant take this one.

Seneekikaant
Table Maker
Table Maker
Apprentice Hacker
Apprentice Hacker

Post by Seneekikaant »

Marcus101RR wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:17 pm

So Yes,

I agree, the GPL 3.0 License is exactly a good stand point on the matter. Tim was originally on the Open Source License, but we never got a chance to take a poll on it and see how everyone feels. So great to bring this up now. With Tim being gone, and not sure about his stand point. We can only ensure the community speaks their voice. If anything we will make a poll on which license to use and adjust the rules accordingly to our current rule.

It just comes down to the point that we do not want some flame-fueled-grudge-based-power-control communities to just grab tables, post them over their untranslatable sites and gain profit from them. My Monster Hunter World table was a huge example of this as it landed on Chinese Sites, and they would service accounts to level them up, give items, and more using the table, but no credit was given to me. In short, never did anything about it, wasn't worth my time and people know exactly where it came from and who made it! Your reputation follows you based on your actions, and efforts!

While, sites like FRF may continue to ignore this rule for Elden Ring (Hexinton) after deliberately not wanting their table decrypted (we know who did, and argued it wasn't encrypted at first), among many here who may have had their status, reputation, and tables taken with/without credit. A License to keep people aware that as long as you show good faith and intent you are free to use and distribute as long as credit and references are given.

Simple, like an essay with reference at the bottom showing your paraphrased sources. It is common sense, but its lacking.

So should we go forth and make another poll? I'll let @Seneekikaant take this one.

I'll take a look around at the licenses that are available and which ones would best suit the site here and the users, and how to properly apply said licenses and draw up a guide for the table makers, who as always, are free to apply a license of their own choosing, but should this be overlooked then a default will apply.

A naked man fears no pickpocket